Cathedral

Most people don’t recognize the feature and aspects of spaciousness about the place which they have no feeling at all or they don’t pay attention for. However, the place isn’t meaningless for them because they have never tried to get to know of it. This idea applies to “Spaciousness and Crowding”, Tuan mentions that individual’s feeling correspond to spaciousness of certain place that affects personal point of view observing particular objects. “The world feels spacious and friendly when it accommodates our desires, and cramped when it frustrates them” (65). Tuan reveals that if a person is willing to look close to the place or object and understand the concepts of it, he/she feels that is also a place and space belonging to him/her. On other hand, if a person doesn’t even want to try accept a place and discover the meaning of it. The place will become his/her irritation and bondage. Also, this idea relates to the story, “Cathedral”, Raymond Carver tells about how cathedral is significant to a person who is observing only, but not feeling it. A blind man has different feeling of cathedral than the husband of his friend. Even though the husband can explicitly observe the feature of the cathedral, he can’t describe it to the blind man because he has no feeling of it. In the meantime, the blind man has inferior feeling of how cathedral is and he can feels all structures, features and meaning of it. When the blind man draws the picture of cathedral with the husband, the husband can feel the real world and spaciousness of it while closing his eyes. “The blind man’s fingers rode my fingers as my hand went over the paper. It was like nothing else in my life up to now” (103). It tells that the husband can feel how cathedral is massive and significant to him as if he is belonging to this part of the family. He can figure out the spaciousness of cathedral although he doesn’t believe in any religions in reality. The truth is that feeling can influence individual’s idea and thought to all kind of places and objects which he/she never tries to understand the meaning behind them.

One Response to Cathedral

1. San says:

I’m amazed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you’ve
    hit the nail on the head. The issue is something not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i’m very happy that I found this in my hunt for something regarding
    this.